Tuesday, September 19, 2006

FABIO GURGEL:


Fábio Gurgel
By Marcelo Alonso (TATAME MAGAZINE)
Analysing the BJJ evolution


Three times BJJ world champion of the black belt category, the leader of the Alliance team Fábio Gurgel got more one title in his career. The black belt, who already won last year the category master weight and absolute, won the heavy category of his first year fighting Senior at the International Championship of Master and Senior of BJJ. In exclusive interview to site TATAME, Gurgel talks about his training, the sport development, the bouts of the International Championship of Master and Senior and about the TT Jiu-Jitsu team. Check it out.



What brings you to be always competing?
I am always fighting and evaluating. I always want to watch and to be part of the sport evolution.
What did most change in the sport in the last 10 years?
The organization, the professionalism. We evaluated a lot. I miss a lot my training time in the adult category and this is my way to be still here and this is my way to don't miss the sport too much. I am still living of BJJ and this is an example for my pupils and I think this is important.
Have you been training?
Yes. I trained a lot for this championship. I came from a good rhythm from the World BJJ Championships, because I had to train with people from the academy. Of course I didn't train as Marcelinho Garcia have been training, but I got back with my trainings and I am also with a good physical form.
How many fights did you do in the absolute category?
The first prevision was five bouts, but I did three, because I won by WO. Today, there are 30 categories by category and we don't have any easy time, there are always tough bouts. I did the final against Peposo, he is a great athlete and heavier than me. The judge and the whole Gymnasium saw that the referee made a mistake. He took me off two points of punishment and I can't accept that. That was a huge mistake, that did piss me off. I know that the referees can make a mistake but there must be judge the reasons and the punishments. I sent a relatory for they can pay attention about that, I think that a judge like that one has no conditions to be a referee of the black belt final. There were many mistakes in the keys, they forgot one athlete, they had referee mistake. That was a big missing!
How was the fact of the athletes that left the TT and going back to Alliance?
Rubens Cobrinha and Alan asked me to be part of this movement, they wanted a professor, a team. The team is alike Alliance team, where Fernando Tererê was graduated, and we have our doors open, even because Tererê is not very fone right now. There are two important things when we put together two teams. The Alliance never tried to do that, they never opened the doors, they never asked for someone else. We created a lot of champions, but he have this style. They have this same idea, they also have a good head, the same job philosophy. I think this is godd, now we will see what will happen.
Which is your opinion about the athletes from Jiu-Jitsu going to Vale-Tudo, as Marcelinho did?
This question was already discussed before a lot of times. I talked to him already about it. He wants it, but we stopped to think more about his category, his weight, and he gains more money fighting BJJ and giving some seminars. This is not the moment of Marcelinho in the Vale-Tudo yet, but he his strong and getting preparated. This is the same case of Cobrinha, everybody wants to put him fighting. This is not like that. Doing career in Vale-Tudo needs some care and strategy or you will be a Vale-Tudo employer. I think you need to wait the right time, the right moment for everything goes fine. The question is wait to do the things well.