Friday, July 20, 2007

Bruce A. Tafoya:


ET MENBER WON MEDAL:

Here are the details:

Sat 07 Jul 2007 – Open Division – I got matched up with the heaviest guy in the tournament, about 140kg. The charged me at the start of the fight and pushed me out of bounds, then at the re-start we tied up and I tried for a single leg and was stopped, then we danced around and he made no attempt to take me down or throw me and we went out of bounds again. At the re-start I immediately shot in for double leg, he sprawled down with his weight and I caught a fist to my right eye which shoved my hard contact lenses into the corner of my eye. I trapped his arm as he was trying to grab my collar (he never got my collar), I locked his arm and tried to sit out to take the back but could not budge him, then I tried to sit out the other way to arm lock him, again could not budge him (imagine trying to do this to Carlão), we went out of bounds. Referee stops the fight and called the medics for my eye, after two minutes of trying to get my contact back over or out of my eye, the medics were ending the fight saying I was unable to continue, I protested and refused to accept this decision and I went back onto the mat and told the referee it was my decision to fight not the medics. So they allowed me to continue to fight and I pulled half guard, again the weight stopped me, he sprawled and crawled over into side control, 3 points for the bad guy. The rest of the fight he layed on me and he got 2 disadvantages for stalling, 1 more and he is disqualified. Unlucky draw of opponents, but nonetheless I lose, he wins, boring fight! Good news is I got hit again in the same eye during the fight and the contact went back into place. He ended up taking third, losing to the eventual champion by referee’s decision in the semi-finals.



Sun 08 Jul 2007 – Middle Weight Division – I had two fights, the first fight I shot in with a fireman’s carry to take him down, 2 points for the good guy, and I got put into half guard with me on top, I passed his guard and immediately went to front mount, I did not get the 3 points for passing the guard because I did not control the position for the 3 seconds because I went to the front mount so I got 4 points. He then went into a turtle position where I got one hook in, I could not get the other hook in, I stretched his arm and went for an inverted arm bar, he defended and I switched to a kimura arm lock repositioned my body and legs, flipped him over and submitted him with the kimura arm lock about half way through the match. The second fight, the finals was tough, he pulled guard, I opened his guard, I stood up, he put in the De La Riva, I looked for a leg lock but he had my collar so I did not attempt the leg lock, next thing I know I am flat on my ass, damn I just got swept, 2 point for the bad guy, he was standing up so I was going to go for another leg lock but the referee stopped the fight because he said I could not grapevine his leg for the leg lock, so I transitioned into the x-guard and swept his ass back, 2 points for the good guy, he put me back in his open guard, I went to two knees and under hooked both his leg, stood up and flipped him over to the turtle position where he immediately stood up, I took him down but we ended up out of bounds so I got an advantage. The referee re-started the fight standing up, he pulled closed guard, he attempted a choke which I did not defend because it was not threatening and I did not want the referee to give him an advantage for a choke attempt, he over hooked my arm and was trying to attempt an arm lock which I defended before to he could get any type of lock, and that’s the way it ended. I won 2x2, but I had the 1 advantage. Yeah, I win the championship!