Tuesday, September 13, 2011

interview with Mestre Carlos Santos.

http://www.grapplersplanet.com/
Dear Grappling and Jits Fans,

GRAPPLERSPLANET.COM has had the pleasure to have a ONE on ONE interview with Mestre Carlos Santos.
For those of you who don't know who he is, He is the Original creator of the Abu Dhabi World Pro (World Professional Jiu-Jitsu Cup) and the project School-jitsu, that made our sport a mandatory discipline in more than 40 public schools.

He has a lot of good stuff coming up for us very soon, now that he has returned back to Brazil and hitting the USA where he will open a new academy.
Here is what Mestre Santos shared with us:
GP: How long have you been doing BJJ?
CS:I have been training BJJ for 21 years, everyday. And teaching for 12 years.

GP: What do you like best about Jiujitsu?
CS: BJJ is not only a fight, it is a life style. The ones who love it as I do will understand that I believe to have new family with my BJJ brothers.

GP: For you, what does it mean to have a black belt?
CS: What I learned from the Grand Master Carlson Gracie: It’s a great honor to have a BJJ Black Belt and show it not only on the mats, but in LIFE. I apply my experience everyday wherever I am, whatever I do.

GP: Have you done other grappling styles?
CS: A little bit of Judo, while training BJJ. But I believe the BJJ is the most technical and complete of the Grappling styles.

GP: What advice do you have for new students in training?
CS: Take care about yourself and never stop. Whenever you feel like not going for training, go and watch the class. At least you make sure you will learn something good.

GP: what have you done in and for BJJ on an international level?
CS: I have introduced the BJJ into the UAE, 9 years ago, creating and been the Head Coach of the National Team until 2011. I have created and organized the BJJ World Professional Cup in 2009 and 2010. I have also introduced the BJJ in the Public Schools, with the creation of the School-Jitsu project in Abu Dhabi; making the BJJ a mandatory subject in 42 schools, covering more than 20 thousand students training BJJ every day.

GP: How do you see BJJ and grappling evolve in the next 5 to 10 years from now?
CS: I hope to see a big international federation aiming the professionalization of the BJJ. Then we can wait to see our sport at the same style of the Surf nowadays.
GP: what do you think is missing in BJJ to make it an Olympic sport?
CS: The International Federation, big sponsors and a world circuit – it all together.

GP: will you be competing again?
CS: In tournaments, maybe. But I compete every day in real life!
GP: when did u start BJJ? where and under who?
CS: I started in 1992, in Copacabana – Rio de Janeiro – Brazil, under the Grand Master Carlson Gracie.

Muito Obrigado and Muito Respeito Mestre,
Wish you all the best in your next endeavors. Osssssss
GP Management
http://www.grapplersplanet.com/