Friday, February 01, 2008

UAE:


UAE: a market in sheer growth
Discovering new territories for Jiu-Jitsu
By Carlão Santos, GMA Member in Abu Dhabi, UAE

I founded the United Arab Emirates Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Team, the country's national team, during my second Visit to the United Arab Emirates to teach, in October of 2002 This was made posslble by the partnership Abu Dhabi Combat Club (ADCC) set up with Ze Mario Sperry and the Brazilian Top Team, with the aim of bringing black belts here. Among my activities, I teach classes to nearly the entire family of Sheikh Tahnoon bin Zayed, besides teaching the national defense and the army special forces.

Around here I also work as an organizer of tournaments. It's not easy, since I have to run after sponsors and oversee the entire organization, doing almost everything on my own. But now I have the support of teachers Olavo Abreu and Suyan Queiroz, who are providing me backup. I entered this field because, ever since I first arrived in this region, I noted the lack of competitions being held. My idea always was to put on big events here and around the region, with the hope of bringing the Asian and World championships here some day.

The main difficulties in the region have been the lack of professionalism of a lot of people and ignorance about the sport. Nevertheless, the work also brings rewards such as beinq able to watch Jiu-Jitsu grow, hearing people talk about and all the friends you make.

Reccntly I launched the "Emirates Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Magazine, the first fight magazine of the Arab nations. I have been mulling over the release of the magazine for a long time but, in 2006, when I started to work for Sheikh Zayed bin Mohammad Zayed I was given full support to go forth with this project. Sheikh Zayed along with Major General Mohammad Hilal aI Kaabi, gave me full support on my efforts to make Jiu-Jitsu take off in the region.

The Jiu-Jitsu classes market around the Arab world is goinq through a period of sheer growth - an extremely fast growth spurt. These days there is Jiu_jitsu in all the Arab countries, creating a generation of fighters that will, within five years, make a lot of noise on the international stage. Our next step is to found a Jiu-Jitsu Federation in the UAE and other Arab countries as well.
http://www.graciemag.com/?c=173