Monday, October 09, 2006

KID NEWS 11:


Kid Peligro Jiu-Jitsu News . . . Marcelo Garcia interview - Royce Gracie Network Gathering - Demian Maia and Fabricio 'Morango' win Super Challenge
Submitted by: Kid Peligro



Marcelo Garcia talks about his U.S.A. experience
Current World BJJ and ADCC Champion Marcelo Garcia recently moved to the New York area where he is now the main instructor at Studio X academy. One would think that for a small town boy like Garcia, who hailed from the small town of Formiga in Minas Gerais, Br. state, the move from Formiga (population 80,000) to Sao Paulo and now New York would seemed like moving to another planet, but far from it. Garcia took the move like he takes his matches, with total commitment and is now thriving in the Big Apple. We caught up with Marcelo between his many seminar commitments:

Kid Peligro- How is the move and adaptation to New York been? MG- It couldn't be better, NY was a city that I have chosen in the past as a vacation place, I also have taught many seminars here, and now is the city I chose to live. I really feel here that I can teach the world, since there are people from so many different places. Fabio Clemente is also making my transition really smooth.

Kid Peligro - And how is the Academy? MG- I am teaching at Studio X, at 98 third ave ( between 12th and 13th), you can check the class schedule at www.studioxny.com,or my website www.marcelogarciajj.com . The academy is doing really well, there are new students everyday, and the interesting thing is that I am getting students that come from different countries, that are in NY either on business or on vacation, but take their times to come train with me, that is very nice, the recognition.

Kid Peligro - What was the aspect of teaching in the US that you find most different from Brazil?
MG - What I always find different, but in a good way, is how close attention the students here give to when I am teaching positions, how the students repeat the positions until I tell them to stop, that is so good, they haven't got the bad habit of doing the position a couple of times and stopping to chat...

Kid Peligro - What do you like the most about the change and NYC? MG- I really like NYC, I enjoy taking long walks! The best thing is that now I can travel to seminars for the weekend and be able to come back home on Sunday night so that I am able to be teaching my students during the week. In the past I had to travel for a whole month, sometimes even more and stay away from my house, the academy...and that was hard , it's even closer now to travel to Europe, Asia...

Kid Peligro - What is the biggest difference between the American based student and the Brazilian student?
MG- That is what I said before,Brazilians, because they always have the best instructors around, they kind of take that for granted, and maybe that's why a lot of Brazilian jiu-jitsu fighters, instructors are travelling to teach abroad.

Kid Peligro - What are your plans for the near future? MG - I just want to keep teaching at my academy, keep with my seminars, this year I also have 2 fights Nov 4th in Texas ( www.gcchampionship.com ) and on Nov 17th probably the LA SUB-X II in LA. I still have some seminars this year, the next one will be in North Carolina, but you can check those details in my web page www.marcelogarciajj.com. And there is also the dream of being valued at an MMA event, so I hope one day I get a good proposal to fight!

Kid Peligro - Thanks Marcelo!



Super-Fight Tournament - Sao Paulo, Brazil
Fabricio 'Morago' and Demian Maia were the big names of the Super-fight Tournaments. Each fighting 3 fights in one night Maia and Morango took top honors with an incredible display of technique and determination. Morango won the under 73KG tournament by beating Mauro Xuxa (sub - guillotine R1), Luciano Azevedo (judges dec.) and Jean Silva (sub - arm-lock R1).

In the Under 83 KG, Demian defeated Katel Ubris (sub - rear naked R1), Gustavo 'Ximu' (judges dec.) and Fabio Negao (sub - guillotine R1) to take the Under 83KG title. Under 83 KG pre-event favorite Alexandre 'Cacareco' lost a judges decision to Felipe Mongo in his first match.

In the event Superfight Jorge 'Macaco' beat former partner and arch-rival Claudio Godoi by TKO at 5 min R2



Diego Sanchez and crew training around N.A.
U.F.C. fighter Diego Sanchez, in his quest to become an even better fighter has been travelling around a lot lately. With his conditioning trainer Rob Garcia (who also trains Oscar De La Hoya, and many top surfers) and his friend professional boxer up and coming star Francisco 'Panchito' Bojado (Olympic Silver in Boxing 2000), Diego stopped by Gracie Miami for a few rolls and then went to Mexico City to train with the Mexican Olympic Boxing Team.

Diego and Panchito regularly train together as they spend a lot of time at Robbie's home in San Diego so they are both getting better at each other's game! Garcia said of the trip: 'My guys are looking great and it is very good for them to cross train and develop other skills. They are both getting too fast and sharp. Look out!'



Royge Gracie Network Gathering
Speaking of Gracie Miami, Royce Gracie and his network reps gathered there this weekend for their annual Association meeting. The gathering is a great opportunity for the group to get together and go over their curriculum and make sure everyone is on the same page. It is also a great time for everyone to relax and get some good training with their friends who are spread out around the country with their own academies. Royce goes: 'I like to see everyone sparring together so I can make sure the technique is there and the quality is homogeneous as I want every rep to be an extension of me!'


Now go train Jiu-Jitsu,

Kid Peligro