Tuesday, June 19, 2007

JIU-JITSU AND SURF:


Jiu-Jitsu and Surf walking together

Student of Zé Marcello since white belt until black one, Yannick Beven, most known as Nick, a former professional surfer, developed a very interesting project where he combined all the experiences he had at Jiu-Jitsu to apply in Surf, and he named that Training Camps.

"Like a former professional surfer, I always searched for new components which could improve my performance into the sport and my personal live. I practiced for long time the Capoeira, later I started on the Yoga, where I stayed during 10 year with the support of a professor in Niteroi (city of Rio de Janeiro), this all with the goal of becoming a better athlete, I learned how to control my emotions." said Nick to the BTT’s official website.

The Jiu-Jitsu entered on the life of this brazilian, with high french accent by huge way, in front of the technique and the diversity of the sport, Nick saw yourself forced to leave the Surf and to dedicate himself 100% at the Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, which he knew recently in that period.

"I competed in a lot of submission grappling and Jiu-Jitsu tournaments in Europe in tournaments of. Besides of being the interpreter of my master Zé Marcello", complete Nick.

High level competitor in Surf and being in a nice position, where he could join the experiences of the past(Surf) which the ones of nowadays (Jiu-Jitsu), Nick had a great idea in his mind and realized that the confidence, concentration and the balance that he acquired during all of his time could be used in a magic combination. About that he related us:

"I had in my hands everything that a surfer could need, inside the water I had the experience of the competitions I did, out of it the BJJ which I learned gave me an amazing support."

With the tools in hands, inside and out of the sea, Nick collaborated with the project of QuickSilver (considered surf wear) title Training Camps. Developed by the 2x World champion Tom Carrol, who nowadays works for the QuickSilver, it was great for Nick to make part of this project which had the deal of forming surf competitors such as Patrick Beven (Nick`s brother), 4º in the World ranking of WQS and who was a person who helped a lot, Miky Pilcon, top elite athlete and the prodigy, Jeremi Flores who won the WQS title this year, being the younger guy to enter in the elite of surf. At the last words, Nick leaves a final message

"I am very happy of having given this historic step into the world surf, and very happy too of making part of this two extraordinary teams, the Brazilian Top Team and the QuickSilver, thank you all".