Thursday, March 18, 2010

CECONI

Ceconi stoked revved up for Abu Dhabi
by Carlos Eduardo Ozório — March 18, 2010

Alexandre Ceconi won the under 92kg division of the World Pro tryouts in Gramado. To conquer the prize rewarded the 1st-place winner, covering all costs involved in competing at the main event in Abu Dhabi, the Rilion Gracie student had to make it past a string of tough adversaries.

“I had five matches, got the finish in three and won two on points. There was one I was losing and, with eight seconds remaining, I managed to get the takedown and snag his arm,” Ceconi tells GRACIEMAG.com.

In the grand finale, the black belt had a hard-fought battle with Rodolfo Vieira, current champion of the event. Ceconi won by a three-point margin, working from the top, trying to pass guard. At the beginning, he had to escape an omoplata.

“Rodolfo is a tough athlete and I’m happy because he was last year’s winner ,” he said in praise. “I really motivated for Abu Dhabi. I’m going to train hard and I hope to represent my academy well. This will be the first time I get to travel to compete without having to run around trying to muster up money. Sponsorship is hard to come by. Now I’ll be able to train better and be more focused,” he adds
The fighter has other plans besides the World Pro, though.

“I want to compete at the Pan-American, too. I want to spend some time abroad, at Rilion’s gym in Miami, and prepare for my upcoming challenges, including the IBJJF Worlds,” he says in finishing