Thursday, January 20, 2011

Carlao Santos Interview 2004:




Carlao Santos Interview
Tue, 2004-09-07 08:13 — Scotty


OTM: What is your position at AABB with the Brazilian Top Team?
CS: At present, I serve as the head professor & competitor at Top Team. My fellow teammate and partner, Olavo Abreu, & I teach the gi classes at BTT. We manage the complete gi program. We have been entrusted with this program by Bebeo, Ze Mario, Liborio, & Murilo.

OTM: How did you get started in Jiu Jitsu?
CS: I always dreamed of fighting with a gi. A friend of mine took me to the Carlson Gracie Academy. I started training at the academy under Marcelo Saporito and Marcel Alonso. These two served as my first instructors.

OTM: How long have you been training?
CS: I have been training for ten years consistently.

OTM: When did you get your black belt and from who?
CS: I received my black belt in August 2001 at the BTT from BeBeo, Ze Mario, Liborio and Murilo.

OTM: What are your major accomplishments in Jiu Jitsu.
CS: 2nd Place in Brazilian Championship 1994
Brazilian Champion 1996
Mundail Champion 1995
Mundail Champion 1996
World Champion 1996
World Champion 1998
World Champion 2000
Pan American Champion 2001
2nd Place Brazilian Champion 2001

OTM: Describe a typical day of training at AABB.
CS: We have training at 11:30am & 7:30pm. We also have boxing & Mui Tai classes going on all day. BTT is a real fight center.

OTM: What do you thin of the current state of Jiu Jitsu in Rio?
CS: Like always Jiu Jitsu in Rio is very competitive. A new federation has been recently been founded which gives cash money to the competitors. This will make Jiu Jitsu in Rio even bigger.

OTM: Any plans to fight NHB soon?
Yes, I intend to fight vale tudo one year from now.

OTM: What were the circumstances behind you not being able to fight in the last US Grappling event?
CS: A week before the competition, I was giving a seminar in Newark, NJ. In my seminars I not only like to show positions, but I also like to roll with the participants. In doing so at that particular seminar, I injured my neck. I could not even walk. This saddened me. I hope in the near future that the U.S. Grappling association again invite me to fight. Perhaps in August 2002 I will return to Newark, NJ to give another seminar. If there is a competition going on at that time, I would be open to an invitation to compete.

OTM: What do you think of the Brazilian rivalry in NHB?
CS: NHB in Rio used to be extremely bad, in that there was much fighting amongst the academies as well as in the streets. But today things have gotten much better. Especially as it concerns Top Team who prides itself in being professional and engaging in vale tudo only in the ring.

OTM: Anything else?
CS: I would like to express my gratitude to On the Mat for providing me the opportunity to introduce myself to its audience. I would also like to extend an invitation to all of you to come to BTT to train. Our door is always open. If anyone is interested in me giving a seminar you can contact me at:
carlaosantos@hotmail.com
I also invite you to view my website: http://www.BrazilianTopTeam.com