Sunday, January 20, 2008

INTERVIEW:


A warrior in Abu Dhabi
Carlao Santos speaks about challenges in Middle East
Carlao Santos does not rest. Living in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, the black belt works tirelessly not just to pass on his knowledge but also to popularize the practice of Jiu-Jitsu in the Middle East. And one of his roles is as organizer of championships. The next mission is to make the 2008 Abu Dhabi Cup, a competition set for the 9th and 10th of May, and which will offer a total of US$ 33,000 in prizes, a success.

What are your hopes for the Abu Dhabi International JJ Cup?

My hopes are for the event to be the biggest of all times here in the Middle East. We hope a lot of Brazilians will come, as the prize-money is great, perhaps the greatest distribution of cash prizes in Jiu-Jitsu history. At white and blue belts the champion will take home US$ 1,400 and second place US$600. At purple and brown it will be US$ 2,000 for the winner and US$ 600 for second place, for a total of US$ 33,000 in prizes, at an event that cost a total of 100,000 dollars, including staff, marketing, etc. We don’t yet have a black belt competition, but who knows maybe in the near future we will have one.

What is your assessment of JJ in the United Arab Emirates right now?

Very good. Not only in the Arab Emirates but in the whole region, thanks to my work Jiu-Jitsu is growing nicely in other countries like Jordon, Bahrain and Saudi Arabia.

What are the greatest challenges you face as a teacher there?

My greatest challenge is that the culture here is not one of practicing sport. Most of my students are over 26 years old. The younger ones are studying abroad. So I don’t have a youth team. But it seems that as the country is growing so much and building good schools, the youth will stick around here, so we will have children and adolescents training.

Do you foresee a representative of the Emirates shining at black belt at the Worlds?

Yes. That is not for now, though, but 5 years from now. I’m planting the seeds to later reap the fruit.

How much longer do you plan on staying around there?

I plan to stay here for many years yet. I am very well known around here for my sport, they are holding me in the necessary regard and I will be able to do a lot for Jiu-Jitsu around these parts. Who knows maybe it will become like surfing or skating, with its own world circuit. Sheikh Mohamad Bin Zayed Al Nahyan (crowned prince of the United Arab Emirates) loves our sport and wants to help me with this project, which besides helping the sport, would bring the country to greater attention of the world and through sport, which is such a healthy practice.

How is GRACIE Magazine being received in the Emirates?

Well. But it’s still a novelty to them. There are many here with direct sub scri ptions, but even so they always ask me for them, every time I arrive they always ask me where the magazines are? Are they here yet?